Search This Blog

Saturday, August 06, 2011

A Day of Godwinks!

I had a series of "Godwinks" yesterday. I love that term over calling it "blessings" just because it's so cute. Godwinks, for me, are reminders, graces, coincidences and synchronicities that show us that we're all connected to something more and we're not alone.


I had been sick with a bad sinus infection for the past month that threatened to become bronchitis or pneumonia. I'm not a good "patient" especially when staying home to rest interrupted my plans to test for my brown belt in karate at the end of Aug, 2011. I was finally feeling up to going back to karate for the first time yesterday, but when I awoke and jumped out of bed, I was strangely weak. It wasn't my blood sugar because the weakness persisted after I ate something. I wanted to cry or scream in frustration.


This past 3 months since my Mom died and my nephew committed suicide felt like a wasteland. I just didn't feel like doing much of anything. Each week seemed to blend into the next one. I wondered if I was ever going to snap out of it and start enjoying my life again. Did anyone care that I was struggling? Did anyone know I was feeling so blah? I foresaw a miserable day ahead of staying home yet again to rest, while beating myself up for being too weak to go AGAIN.


Oddly, enough, I happened to get a last minute invitation to come watch the taping of a new radio show and meet some women who were my Facebook friends, but whom I hadn't met yet. I wouldn't have been able to go had I gone to karate instead. That was just what this doctor ordered! I met some great women, got inspired and left with more than my share of gratitude that I had been "too weak" to go to karate.

The second Godwinks happened when I stopped by Taco Bell, of all places, to get something to eat because I was STARVING and had to rush to my fiddle lesson across town. I was in a bad mood because my blood sugar was low, so I was impatient when I had to wait in line at the drive through. I noticed that the license plate holder of the car in front of me said, "Michigan State Alumni" on it. Playfullly, I thought of hollering out the window to the driver, "Go Spartans!" since I'm also from Michigan, but I behaved myself and prayed her order came out quickly because I was STARVING!


When I (finally) pulled up to the window to get my food, the girl told me that the woman in the car ahead of me had PAID for my order!!! Well, that made my day! Further, she said, the woman's only comment was "pass it on." Without missing a beat, I gave the girl at the drive through my $5.15 and said, "then take this for the next person that comes along." Needless to say, the drive up gal was speechless.


I drove away wondering what it would be like, what the ripple effects would be if for one day everyone at Taco Bell's drive through paid for the meal of the person behind them. Not only did I get a "free" meal, but I left feeling certain that my days of malaise were over. I am happy to report I went to karate today (not without some trepidation), but I was fine. Hallelujah!

August 10, 2011 UPDATE!!
I just received this email.
"Hi Annette,


My name is Louise DuArt. I am SQuire Rushnell's wife. We just LOVED your story! We are certainly on the same page. SQuire and I just created a new website called networkofneighbors.com

The simplest way to describe this non-profit is. . .neighbor helping neighbor. Would love for you to take a look at the website. Could we possibly use your story to exemplify "gifting it forward?"

It was certainly a Godwink for us to get your letter!

Blessings,

Louise"


Annette Vaillancourt, Ph.D.
The Success Doctor is IN!
Success Coach and Motivational Speaker
Transforming Passion and Drive into Amazing Results

Call 314-246-0507 or 1-877-949-5935
to schedule an initial coaching consultation
Follow Me on Twitter
Friend Me on Facebook

"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will." - George Bernard Shaw

No comments: