Search This Blog

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Mall Meditation

Today during my usual walk around the mall, I noticed a number of senior citizens sitting on the benches, as if waiting for someone to retrieve them after shopping. Perhaps for some, who may live alone, they came to the mall just to be among people and not just sit at home, cold, lonely or waiting for death to retrieve them.

I noticed 2 tidy, white haired, elderly women slumped on the benches, clutching their purses to their chest. Each had a dull look in their eyes, as if the sparkling fire of youth, love and hope had long ago died. When their eyes met mine, I simple smiled and their faces came back to life!

Who were these women? Who did they love? What did they give to life? How valuable is a single life! Will they leave this world with their stories untold?

I've decided this will be my new meditation at the mall--looking, smiling, and seeing the spirit of joy come alive in others.

No comments: