Last Monday, while at Krogers, I was approached in the parking lot by this scruffy, skinny man asking me for $3 for a gallon of gas. He started to explain that his beat up old car had a leak in the gas tank and he had to get back to Mt. Vernon. Even though I was a bit wary, I offered him a ride to the nearest gas station, which he immediately accepted.
Then while he ran to his car to get his gas can, I had visions of him pulling a knife or robbing me. But instead of driving off, I just asked if he'd mind sitting in the back seat and I stashed my purse on the floor. It was only 1/2 mile to the gas station and I figured if he tried something I'd have time to react. All this was flashing through my mind in a matter of seconds. In the meantime he was babbling on about growing up on the southside of Chicago, having been shot, and was here for HIV/AIDS training so he could go back and help teens in Chicago.
I dropped him at the station, gave him $3, which was all I had on me, wished him "good luck" and drove off. Even though I felt a bit rattled, I thought about what the Buddha had said about if we knew the value of sharing and the rewards it brings we'd never hesitate to do so.
It's one thing to know that and think it's a good idea, and it's humbling to see how hard it is to actually do that.
No comments:
Post a Comment